Hey everyone! My name is Missy and I’m an artist and blogger for PBS KIDS Utah. When I was in school, I’d make one of these simple paper bag books and fill it with information I needed to remember for upcoming tests. I’d use them as study guides. I think they would also make a great place for you to write and illustrate your very own stories. Here's how to make a paper bag book for kids!
- A paper grocery bag
- Take apart the bag. Take the handles off (if it has them). Carefully pull apart the glue on the bottom of the bag. And cute the seam on the side.
- Lay the paper bag out completely flat. It will look like a long rectangle.
- Fold it in half, hamburger style.
- Fold it in half, hamburger style, again.
- Turn it so it’s a horizontal rectangle. Now fold it in half, hamburger style, once more.
- Unfold the whole thing (you will have created 8 squares. 2 rows, 4 squares long).
- Identify the fold that runs lengthwise between the 2 rows of 4 squares. Now use your scissors to cut a whole in the middle (the length of 2 squares where the top middle squares meet the bottom middle squares).
- Re-fold along that center line. Hold the paper upright from each end and pinch toward the middle. This creates the pages.
- Lay the whole thing flat and re-crease the folds. One fold on the left and 4 folds on the right, like a book.
- Now you can use your glue to secure and define the pages better.
- Create a story in your mind. Give it a title.
- Use your markers to draw a cover and write the title of your story.
Now you have your very own book! You can write your story inside and illustrate that story by drawing the pictures. If your story is longer, you can make a second paper bag book and staple them together. This paper bag book would also work with a small paper bag, like a lunch sack or white copy paper. Be creative and have fun!