PBS Utah is honored to recognize Utah’s top ten educators
PBS Utah is a media sponsor of the UEA Excellence in Teaching Awards and is proud to produce video profiles highlighting the award recipients. PBS Utah has been committed to education since its inception over 60 years ago and is pleased to recognize and support Utah’s outstanding educators.
The UEA has presented the Excellence in Teaching Awards since 2000 to Utah public school teachers whose efforts in the classroom significantly impact the life of an individual student or group of students.
For the past four years, PBS Utah has partnered with the UEA to produce video profiles of the Excellence in Teaching winners. The video profiles are sponsored in part by the Utah Education Network (UEN). “The videos are a moving tribute to educators across Utah who are committed to ensuring Utah’s children receive high quality educational experiences and individualized support. We are honored to be part of these awards.” said PBS Utah Education Program Manager Elise Brimhall.
Mary Knight’s students thrive with her diligent interventions and creative instruction. Peter Haslam is devoted to giving his students the resources to achieve their goals. Marsha Curtis is passionate about her curriculum as she brings history to life for her students.
Knight, Haslam, and Curtis are three of the ten educators honored with the 2020 UEA/ doTERRA Excellence in Teaching Awards. These educators were selected based on their impact on individual students or groups of students. They are shining examples of educators who bring out the best in their students and recognize each student’s unique potential. This year’s awards will be presented at the KeyBank Superstars in Education banquet later this year.
UEA/dōTERRA Excellence in Teaching award recipients for 2020 are:
- Sharon Bergin, special education teacher at Monroe Elementary School, Sevier School District;
- Marsha Curtis, history teacher at Vernal Middle School, Uintah County School District;
- Heather Fairbank, kindergarten teacher at Hillcrest Elementary School, Logan School District;
- Stephan Haslam, English teacher at Copper Hills High School, Jordan School District;
- Amy Hilton, second-grade teacher at Willow Canyon Elementary School, Canyons School District;
- Patty Johnson, sixth-grade science teacher at Cedar Middle School, Iron County School District;
- Mary Knight, sixth-grade teacher at Heritage Elementary School, Cache County School District;
- Neal Peacock, history and theater teacher at Emery High School, Emery School District;
- Jesse Roberts, social studies teacher at Spanish Fork High School, Nebo School District; and
- Dan Zaleski, fifth-grade teacher at Hurricane Elementary School, Washington County School District.
View award winner profiles, photos and videos
In addition, three awards for outstanding service to public education will be presented:
- 2020 UEA Honor Roll Award to Marcy Loveless, for helping to address the needs of children in Carbon County through Carbon Caring for Kids program;
- Robert “Archie” Archuleta Human and Civil Rights Award to Salt Lake City School District teacher Chelsea Acosta, for work on the Justice and Equality for Kids Roundtable, the ACLU and the National Association of Multicultural Education; and
Elaine Tzourtzouklis Service to Association Award to Trudy Henderson, for her service in member advocacy, political action, leadership and coalition building.
About PBS Utah
PBS Utah is Utah’s PBS station, providing the state with access to exceptional content that entertains, informs, and enriches viewers. PBS Utah airs PBS programming plus award-winning, locally produced documentaries and series. Recognized as one of the leading public television stations in the country, PBS Utah is committed to serving and engaging with the Utah community through its diverse productions, as well as its educational and outreach programs. PBS Utah is always evolving to provide Utahns with relevant programming and services while maintaining its core values of integrity, fairness, independence, education, and innovation. PBS Utah also provides three additional broadcast channels: WORLD, PBS KIDS 24/7, and Create. PBS Utah broadcasts from The University of Utah.
About the Utah Education Association
For more than a century, the Utah Education Association has been dedicated to preserving and enhancing Utah public education. The UEA represents more than 18,000 active classroom teachers, retired educators, administrators, licensed educational support personnel and campus education students. The UEA has local affiliates in each of the state’s 41 school districts, Applied Technology Colleges, and the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.