Completed Programs for Broadcast Consideration
PBS Utah will consider locally completed programs for inclusion in the PBS Utah broadcast schedule. Producers may submit program previews and supporting documentation for review at any time through the procedures outlined below.
Programs will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Programs must align with PBS Utah’s Mission, Vision, and Values as well as PBS’s Editorial Standards and Practices
- Programs will be judged on style, production qualities and expertise, editorial craft
- Exclusivity and cost to PBS Utah.
- Availability of live streaming, on-demand streaming, and other rights
- Original video format of the production (broadcast level video preferred)
- A technical evaluation of the submission tape or digital file by the PBS Utah Technical Services Department.
Programs to be considered must be:
- Closed captioned, as per requirements by the FCC. Additionally, producers must provide PBS Utah with certification that the program satisfies the FCC's caption quality standards and Best Practices. (More information on the FCC's rules and standards may be found at the FCC website).
- Free of any defamatory, indecent or obscene material.
- Free from any copyright claim. The producer must warrant to PBS Utah that they have obtained clear and demonstrable broadcast and streaming clearances for talent, music, visual works and any other copyrighted content.
- Producer must provide evidence of an active Media Liability (Errors and Omissions) insurance policy of at least $1,000,000 that coincides with the proposed PBS Utah license term.
NOTE: Program evaluations are at the sole discretion of PBS Utah Programming Staff and Management. Other criteria may apply.
Producers with programs for consideration may submit a preview link, or a DVD preview along with the materials below.*
- A cover letter outlining the nature of the program and a description of how the program supports PBS Utah's programming Mission, Values, Vision and Standards.
- A fully-completed PBS Utah Broadcast Submission Information Form.
- A fully-completed PBS Utah Blanket Submission Release.
- A production credit list for all primary participants involved with producing the program.
- A funding disclosure listing all individuals and organizations that have donated cash or in-kind contributions for the production of the program and the amounts of those contributions.
*Please note that programs submitted without the above documents will NOT be considered by PBS Utah.
Submissions may be sent to:
Director of Programming
101 Wasatch Drive #215
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
NOTE: The submission of any preview or materials does not guarantee acceptance by PBS Utah. Accepted programs are subject to the PBS Utah Broadcast License Agreement. The scheduling, promotion and outreach of any program accepted for broadcast is at PBS Utah's sole discretion. Producers may expect a response four to six weeks after the receipt of materials at PBS Utah. (The PBS Utah Broadcast License Agreement linked to on this page is provided as a sample only.)
Program Proposals for Production
PBS Utah will consider program proposals in any phase of production except completed programs.
Proposals should answer the following questions:
- How is the story relevant to the Utah audience?
- How is your story novel and compelling?
- How will your story impact audiences?
- Is there a conflict, diverging views, or something at stake?